American Association of University Women
2024 Greater Kansas City Interbranch Council Reentry Scholarship
The Greater Kansas City Interbranch Council of the American Association of University Women wishes to pay tribute to the achievement of the reentry woman in the higher education system of the metropolitan Kansas City area. The Council annually presents a Reentry Woman Scholarship Award to several women who exemplify the effort, perseverance, and courage of the mature woman who returns to the classroom in pursuit of personal and vocational goals.
This award is honorary and will include an award of $1,000 to a minimum of 5 students. The intent of the Council is not only to recognize the accomplishments of the individual women selected, but also to call attention publicly to the possibilities open to other women considering reentry.
To meet the qualifications for this award, a Reentry Woman
- Has entered (or returned to) school after a lapse of five or more years in her education
- Is enrolled full time or part time (at least 6 hours) during the spring 2024 term
- Has completed a total of 24 hours of a degree program or certificate program, at least 12 of these hours after reentry in a participating school without having previously completed a bachelor’s degree
- Earned credit during the Fall 2023 term OR is pursuing an academic certificate program begun before the current term
- Has a GPA after reentry of at least 3.0
Reentry Award funds are available to both Pell-eligible and also to non-Pell students
The application period begins January 10, 2024 and ends March 8, 2024
Awards will be made in April 2024
A complete application package includes:
- Online application (link below)
And the following forms uploaded:
- Completed and signed Release of Information form, (download here) [We will return this to your school for verification of your qualifications]
- Your application essay, as described below
- Two letters of recommendation from any of the following: faculty, college advisor/counselor, college administrator, and/ or employer
PLEASE INCLUDE THE FOLLOWING INFORMATION IN AN ESSAY AND ATTACH TO YOUR APPLICATION
- Describe your reasons for resuming your education and for choosing your area of study.
- Discuss any obstacles you’ve had (financial, family responsibilities, work, transportation, etc.) and how you overcame them.
- Describe your employment and/or volunteer activities. Please include any employment, campus and/or academic awards or honors you have received. What did you gain from these experiences?
- Discuss your ultimate goals (academic, career, personal).
IMPORTANT: Please include your last name and first initial in the file name of each document, along with the type of document (Example: SmithN.Essay.doc, SmithN.ROI.doc, SmithN.Rec1.PDF, SmithN.Rec2.PDF).
When you have all documents ready to upload, click below to begin your application: